Saturday, February 12, 2011

The "Snow Ball"

Kaitlyn and her Dad enjoyed a very special date night last night at the Father-Daughter "Snow Ball" at school!

Of course Kaitlyn took the whole thing very seriously. She carefully picked out her fanciest dress (pink of course), chose just the right shade of nail polish (also pink of course), and gave me explicit instructions on how to style her hair. She and I even went on a cover shopping trip to buy Chris a new tie (you guessed it - pink, of course).

From all accounts she had a wonderful time. She danced with her Dad, and evidently he didn't embarrass her too much! She also spent lots of time dancing with her little girlfriends. Chris caught a few little video clips on his phone, and I cannot tell you how it warmed my heart to see her standing on the dance floor with 7 other little girls smiling, singing, and dancing the night away. I think that slowly but surely the fears I had back when Kaitlyn was first diagnosed about her not being accepted by other kids are starting to fade away. It has become very clear that the kids in the neighborhood, at dance, and at school are quite capable of looking past Kaitlyn's walker and her many mobility challenges to see the sweet, kind, silly little girl within. I am so happy that she has made some very special friends. I have certainly spent way too much time worrying about the kids who will inevitably tease her or refuse to accept her, and not nearly enough time appreciating the many, many wonderful children who have and will continue to be Kaitlyn's true friends.

Here are just a couple of pictures from the big night...

Painting her nails...



Giving Daddy his new tie...



Kaitlyn & Daddy...




Practicing their dance moves...

4 comments:

  1. How sweet! Kaitlyn looked beautiful! I wish Malayna's school would do something like this. She wouldn't get into all the girly stuff, like doing her nails and hair, but she'd sure enjoy a night out with Daddy by herself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is precious! Kaitlyn looked gorgeous, as usual! Emma would love going out with her Daddy too, and she would love dressing up for it.

    How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Kaitlyn is such a pretty girl. I'm glad her and Dad could have a special night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your daughter is beautifuil. I came across your blog, and you inspired me to start a blog for my daughter Gracie. She has spastic diplegic cerebral palsy. and after reading alot of your entries, we are so much alike.
    for instance, her shoes, omg, i kno. we buy grace new shoes about every 2 and a half months. have you ever tried "Danskin" just a brand at walmart? they work great to go over afo's!!!! and comfy and affordable to purchase as often as needed
    also, I understand about trick or treating. we too, live in a town, where you have to walk down (STONE!) STEPSD, CROOKED STEPS AND STEEP STEPS TO GET YOUR HALLOWEEN TREAT FROM THE NEIGHBORS. THANKFULLY, IT HASNT BEEN TO BAD YET, as gracie is only (almost 4) and we pull her in the wagon. then, I myself, her brothers OR her cousins,go to the door for her.
    its a pain to think, that you need to get her in and out of her wagon, at every new house stop that we make.
    life with a disabled child is far more complex then raising a child without special needs. I am so thankful that god gave me a son, who is 6 that is as healthy as can be. but he also gave me twins. grace and noah. and grace has cerebral palsy. Alltho, we try not to let it get us down, and shes as happy as can be. i just worry about her future alot. will she have friends? will she ever havce a boyfriend? things like that. even tho i probably shouldnt worry about those things, they enter my mind. then I feel BAD FOR THINKING about them!
    thats all I do is think. my mind is never turned off. its a constant battle.
    my daughter seen the picture of kaitlyns walker, on your profile, and said she wants a walker like hers.lol ( pink im guessing) I been trying to show grace that shes not the only one that walks with a walker like that. and I think its helping her.
    good luck with everything. i love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete