Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Big Performance...

This post is short and sweet...I'm so proud of Kaitlyn! Over the weekend she sang a song on stage for the first time!

Now, the absolute worst part of this is that I couldn't be there! Any of you who know me know that I really never go anywhere (sad, but true). It just so happened that Chris and I had planned a night away several months ago, and of all days it fell on the same day as Kaitlyn's performance :(

Luckily, Kaitlyn's Nans & Gramps were more than happy to take her so that she wouldn't miss out on this opportunity. Thank goodness for grandparents! The recap that I'll share with you comes from what my mom and Kaitlyn told me about her day...

Kaitlyn was born to be a performer. Ever since her dance recital six months ago, she's been asking me if she could get back on stage again. She's been singing since she could talk, so her music teacher and I decided that this performance at a town-wide arts program would be the right venue for her.

In typical Kaitlyn style, she practiced for months, performing for anyone who would listen. A couple of months ago in a hardware store she climbed up on a deck that was on display, and used it as a stage to sing her song in front of total strangers. I guess it's no surprise that on Saturday she got up on the stage with confidence, and belted out the song with enthusiasm. I'm so impressed with her ability to do these things without any nervousness at all. At six years old, she is able to stand up there, look straight at the audience, and sing her heart out. Neither Chris nor I were born with an ounce of musical talent, nor would either of us ever get up on stage to perform. Where did this child come from???

Unfortunately I don't have a very good video of her performance, but the following clip will give you the idea. It's a little hard to hear her over the music playing in the background, but at least you can get a look at how happy she looks standing up there.

3 comments:

  1. OMG!!! She is fantastic! What a sweetie. At six, she has a wonderful voice for song. She did a fabulous job. She was in tune with the music very well. I definitely heard her every word. WOW! I am so glad that she has such confidence. I have thought for a while that she is destined to perform, as you can see it so clearly in all the videos that you have shared. I hate that you guys had to miss it, but I know you have to be thrilled to see this.

    Gosh, when I was her age (and still to this day), I go blank in front of people. My knees knock, my mouth goes dry...

    This is simply wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That girl is simply amazing! I am in awe of her courage and confidence. I wish Malayna could meet her in person so she could be inspired by her. I will be sure to show her the video though. I'm sorry you had to miss it but thank god for grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara,
    What an amazingly talented young lady! I remember singing this song with Melissa ( I believe in your pool house one summer) over, and over, and over again. We also performed it for the family but could never, ever, get up in front of strangers and do the same thing (not to mention we were not good singers:)! So glad that Uncle Phil and Auntie Joyce were able to capture the moment on video for you. You have a star on your hands!

    ReplyDelete