Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I'm Back...

Holy cow - Has it really been nearly 3 months since I've written a post???

Well, things sure have been busy, busy, busy around here! Kaitlyn's last day of school was today, so she's now officially a 2nd grader! Honestly, where on earth does the time go???

As is always the case with Kaitlyn, with the considerable progress she's made with her mobility, many challenges have also arisen. She is walking more and more independently, which is just fantastic. She got a new style of braces a couple of months ago that are designed to help keep her toes pointed up in the hopes of preventing her tendency to toe-walk. She also got a new pair of fancy "DMO" shorts from England. They are made of lycra and made specifically to fit her body (after a session of 30+ measurements), and are helping to give her better hip stabilization and improve her gait. The braces in combination with the shorts seem to be helping her quite a bit. Time will tell if any of the improvements are long-term.

On the down side, Kaitlyn seems to be falling quite a bit around the house (when she's not wearing braces). It is just heart-wrenching to see her fall or hear the tell-tale crash to the floor. What is most incredible is that every single time she falls she manages to get back up, put a smile on her face, and tell me that she's okay. How this child never ever allows the frustrations of this condition get the best of her is a mystery to me.

As for me, I'm feeling a little crazed with a few things. Over the last few months I have been doing my best to keep everything organized to get Kaitlyn what she needs, including braces, DMO shorts, a new stroller, a new bath seat, and now a new walker. Tomorrow we are going for a visit to have her evaluated for a specially made bicycle that would allow her to ride a bike without tipping over and ending up all scraped up like she does with her current bike. All of these items require doctors visits, specialist visits, and more paperwork than any one person should ever have to deal with. Also, Chris and I have had to work much harder than we anticipated this year to work through some challenges that came up at school. I'm admittedly a little overwhelmed with all of this. However, I have to say that one look at sweet Kaitlyn's face, and I know it's all worthwhile. If any of these things can help make her life one ounce easier, then it's all worth it.

Can any of you other CP moms out there relate to all of this???

So, now that school is out and life promises to get a little bit more relaxed, I'm going to make an effort to post a little more often out here. Until next time, here is a picture of my little sweetie on her last day of 1st grade...

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're back. Sounds like you have been VERY busy, indeed! What a lucky girl Kaitlyn is to have such a devoted and organized mother. To answer your question below, "Yes, I can relate." It can be overwhelming at times--making decisions, getting things done, connecting the dots, etc. But, it seems like you are getting some good things accomplished.

    I love the picture of Kaitlyn. She is adorable, as always. I look forward to hearing more and seeing more photos to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're back too! Kaitlyn gets more beautiful every time you post a picture! She really is such a strong girl and I can tell where she gets it from. I can totally relate to all the struggles and work it takes to make everything happen. Fortunately we had the best year yet with our school - not really any fighting - but I've been there in the past and it's not fun!

    The DMO shorts sound really interesting. Please let us know how they work out. It breaks my heart to think of her falling. Malayna is very clumsy and I know the sound of the dreaded thud too but here it's usually followed by the dreaded cry. Kaitlyn is very brave!

    Happy Summer! We're headed to NH in August for vacation and I can't wait! It's the best week of the year for all of us - no therapies, specialists, school, etc!

    ReplyDelete