Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Boy


While this blog is dedicated to sharing information about Kaitlyn's world, I feel compelled to write a post about someone else.

Connor was born on January 9, 2006, and has filled my life with joy ever since. I know that sounds a little bit like that thing every mother says or at least thinks she should say, but in my case it really is true.

Connor was the happiest, sweetest little baby ever. He spent his entire infancy sleeping, eating and smiling. He would burst into unstopable giggles just because I smiled at him. As he grew, he continued to showcase the same disposition he had as an infant. To this day he still wakes up every single day with a smile. He goes to sleep every night with a smile. There is never a question as to what mood Connor will be in, because he's always happy.

As he got older, I watched in awe as Connor easily reached all of his milestones. By his first birthday, he had sat up, crawled and walked just when the books all said he would. By Kaitlyn's first birthday, she wasn't able to do any of those things.

I have read that siblings of children with special needs often feel left out and unsure of their place in the family. I can honestly tell you that at times Connor has been expected to take a backseat to Kaitlyn's needs. This little guy has spent hours and hours at doctor's appointments with Kaitlyn. Following her surgery in 2006, Kaitlyn was required to have daily physical therapy. So, at 11 months old, Connor began attending these daily sessions as well.

Over the last few years what I have found most amazing is the level of compassion Connor has showed Kaitlyn. When he was 18 months old, we were at a family cookout in New Jersey. Connor was having a blast chasing after his little cousins who were running all over the yard. At one point, all of the kids were in a little playhouse. I watched from across the yard as the door swung open and the kids came bounding out one at a time. Connor was the last one to run out the door ready to catch his older cousins. I found it strange that even though he was having so much fun, he suddenly stopped and turned back toward the little house. As he opened the door, I realized that Kaitlyn was inside. She had apparently been knocked to the ground and was unable to get up. Connor reached out his hand and said "C'mon Mimi (that's what he called her for his first 3 years)". In that moment, I knew that not only did he love his sister, but that he would always look out for her.

Connor is truly Kaitlyn's best friend, and her number one fan. He cheers right along with Chris and me when Kaitlyn accomplishes something new. Connor is incredibly selfless, which is just so unexpected from a four year old. Connor brings such joy and happiness to this family. He is our comic relief, our little engineer, and our sports fanatic. I am so thankful everyday that he is Kaitlyn's brother, and I feel incredibly lucky that he is my son.


Making Kaitlyn Smile

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that brought a tear to my eye. You are all so lucky to have such a sweet boy, especially Kaitlyn!

    ReplyDelete