On that date, an otherwise typical Tuesday, Kaitlyn attended her first dance class.
When Kaitlyn asked me several months ago if she could take a dance class, my immediate response was "sure!". However, finding a class that was willing to take her, as well as a class where I felt she was safe would prove to be more difficult than I could have imagined. I started calling all around the area. Some places just didn't return my phone calls. Others told me that they didn't feel that their program would be a good fit for Kaitlyn. One place offered a class for children with special needs, which I think is AWESOME, but it's really not where Kaitlyn belongs. Putting her in a group made up of children with cognitive or behavioral challenges just doesn't make sense to me.
Then one day Kaitlyn's physical therapist, "Miss Cheryl", told me about a program that she thought may be a good fit for Kaitlyn. In typical Cheryl fashion, she called the owner of the dance studio and filled her in on Kaitlyn's challenges (as well as her many sweet and special qualities I'm guessing!). The owner called me, and before I knew it we were in for a visit. Cheryl came along for a meeting with the owner. We spent 45 minutes going over all the ways she could make Kaitlyn's experience both safe and fun. In case you haven't heard me mention it before, Cheryl rocks.
So, on Tuesday Kaitlyn got all decked out in her new black leotard, pink tights and skirt, and waltzed into the studio. The class she's taking is a combination of tap and ballet. Honestly I couldn't care less if Kaitlyn actually learns any of the proper dance steps, I'm just so thrilled that she can participate in a class like this just like any other 5 year old. She isn't the least bit bothered by the fact that she's in there with her braces or her walker. She's just over the moon with joy to be there. As I watched her through the glass I was overwhelmed with happiness seeing my little dancer spin, jump, and twirl.
February 2, 2010 - A really, really good day!
OMG, how exciting! Kaitlyn is such an inspiration! I only hope Malayna can do something like this one day! Please let us know how it goes and keep those adorable pictures coming!
ReplyDelete