As far as Kaitlyn's post-casting progress, I can finally say she's doing great! It's been a month since the casts came off, and there was a while there when I wasn't sure if she's ever be back to her old self when it came to walking. Just within the last week, she's been walking all around the house without any assistance. The best part - HER FEET ARE FLAT!!! It's amazing. Clearly the casting was a success in that aspect. I'll be sure to post a new video this week. It took her some time to gain her strength back, and to get accustomed to her new alignment, but now she's doing quite well. She's using her crutches an awful lot too, which makes me very happy from a safety standpoint! For now she is only using her walker outside, or for long distances like the mall. Over the next few months we'll assess the safety of her using her forearm crutches for longer periods of time, but I expect she'll use her walker outdoors for quite some time now that we've gotten the first snowfall.
She's also been getting the ESTIM therapy (where a machine sends an electrical impulse to her muscles to help build strength and improve gait) at physical therapy. Chris and I met with a representative from the manufacturing company to inquire about getting a unit to use at home. We're on the fence about it at this point, but we've decided to look to see if our insurance will cover part of it as a first step. Apparently it's not widely covered by insurance, so it could end up costing around $4,000 out of pocket. Let's keep our fingers crossed for that insurance coverage!
With the year end approaching, I've been auditing all of our medical bills for the year. I'm always shocked to see how busy Kaitlyn's been. Here are the stats for her through November 2009:
- 67 Medical Visits
- Well over 100 Physical Therapy sessions
- 7 Doctors
- 3 Hospitals
- 1 Orthotist
- 4 Physical Therapists
- Countless lab techs, radiology techs, casting techs, nurses, physician assistants, and other medical personnel
- 3 Medical Procedures
- 1 New Set of Crutches
- 1 New Set of Braces
As I look at the numbers, I am struck at how much I expect from Kaitlyn. Honestly, she has met so many new people, and gone through so much when it comes to her medical care. All the while, I expect her to be polite, cooperative, happy and friendly to every person she encounters. I guess I expect that because she is always all of those things. Honestly, I know how tired I am dealing with all of this, so I can only imagine how exhausting it must be for her. Amazingly, there is never a complaint. She had 2 therapy sessions over the course of the year where I heard that she didn't give 100%. Can you imagine, just 2 sessions? I mean really, how many days do you wake up and not want to work out? Isn't she entitled to at least 2??? Her spirit, enthusiasm, energy and optimism are inspiring. On the flip side, looking at the numbers saddens me a little bit too. I so wish that she could have just the typical medical care most children endure. For example, Connor has seen the doctor once this year for a well-visit, once for a sick visit (turns out he was totally fine), and for the occasional flu shot. Does this seem fair to you?
- Kaitlyn - 67 medical visits, 100+ physical therapy visits.
- Connor - 3 doctors visits.
The good news is that she is getting excellent medical care. Chris and I are confident that all that we're putting her through will ultimately benefit her, so we can rest a little easier knowing that.
On another note, the holidays are here! We had a great Thanksgiving. Chris's parents were here from NJ for a few days, so the kids were spoiled! Also, we were able to have both sets of grandparents here for Thanksgiving dinner, which I thought was a real treat for the kids. It was the first time the kids have spent time with all of their grandparents at once!
We are gearing up for Christmas, and couldn't be more excited. The kids got a visit from the "Elf on the Shelf", and are busy filling out their wish lists. They have visited Santa at the mall, and are trying to remain on his nice list.
Here are a few recent pictures...
Grandma, Kaitlyn & Grandpa
Nans & Kaitlyn at the Festival of Trees
Connor having hot chocolate and cookies after playing in the snow today!
Kaitlyn - Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
No comments:
Post a Comment