1.
The first happened
when Kaitlyn was 3 years old. I had just put her baby brother down for a nap.
When I came down the stairs, I found her curled up on the kitchen floor
hysterically crying. When I asked her what was wrong, she looked me square in
the eye and said "I can't walk"...
2.
The second was when
she was 4 and we were driving through town on a really pretty spring afternoon.
Out of the blue she said that she wished she could walk and run.
3.
The last one was
about 6 months ago when she told me that the only thing she wanted to ask Santa
for was "to make me a regular kid".
Today I experienced one more of those
gut-wrenching conversations with Kaitlyn. It is clear that this whole CP thing
is becoming very real to her. The two of us were just chatting about a few
things, when she asked me what it feels like to not have cerebral palsy.
She said that she wishes she could be like everyone in the world who doesn't
have cerebral palsy...like Connor. She said that it's really, really hard to
fall all of the time. She has been complaining that her knees hurt quite a bit
lately, and I noticed that she's got some nasty bruises. Imagine what it would
feel like to fall on your knees several times a day on wood floors, tile, and
pavement?
She went on to say that she knows that
she's going to have this for her whole life. I asked her if that made her sad, and
she said no, it makes her angry and frustrated. Who can blame her? How on earth
can an 8-year old begin to be expected to wrap her head around the gravity of
dealing with this forever? How as her mom can I be completely honest with her
without breaking her heart?
This was just one of those days when I wish I could turn the
clock back to when Kaitlyn was little. I loved those days when Kaitlyn didn't
know that she was any different than anyone else in the world. Her world was
truly all rainbows and fairies and it was such a happy time. I guess that's
probably true though for any child, not just one with challenges. Since we
can't turn back the hands of time, I think I'll continue to relish in the happy
moments, and deal with the difficult ones as they come. That is in the end the
job of every parent, isn't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment