That's Kaitlyn's new nickname.
This kid is simply incredible. Her determination - incredible. Her spirit - incredible. Her smarts - incredible.
So where are all of these epiphanies coming from? Let me recap a situation that happened this week...
MONDAY - Monday Kaitlyn has gym class. While she participates with her class, there are clearly going to be things that she just can't do like the other kids.
Monday afternoon I got her off the bus, and asked her the same question I do everyday as we walk up the driveway..."How was school today Kaitlyn?". Normally this is when I am regaled with stories about who she played with at recess, how well she did on her spelling quiz, or what art project she worked on. However, on this day I was saddened to hear this response "School was not good today. I cried in gym." She went on to explain that they were practicing basketball skills. I have to say that Kaitlyn is quite skilled at both stationary dribbling and shooting. However, dribbling while moving up and down the court is not something that she can manage, and that was what they were working on. Over an after-school snack, I had a long conversation with her. I told her that she's entitled to feel frustrated, and tried to give her some coping tools so that she doesn't end up in tears the next time. This seemed to help at the moment, but if you know anything about Kaitlyn, you know that accepting that she can't do something is not an option.
WEDNESDAY - Now that it's December and freezing cold in the morning, Kaitlyn and I wait for the bus inside the house. However on Wednesday morning it was unseasonably warm, so Connor and I went outside with Kaitlyn to wait for the bus. While we were out there, Kaitlyn insisted on playing some basketball. Once we set up the hoop and brought out the ball, she ordered Connor to come by her side. Then she said "Watch Mommy. I know how I can dribble and walk.". It was then that she started dribbling the basketball (while standing still). After a few dribbles, she handed the ball to Connor and said "C'mon Connor". She ran toward the hoop and told him to dribble alongside her. When she got to the hoop, she instructed him to pass the ball back to her, then promptly shot the ball right through the net. Grinning ear to ear she turned to me and said nothing because she simply didn't need to. Her showcase of ingenuity spoke volumes.
I know I've said it a zillion times before, but I am just so in awe of Kaitlyn's spirit. There is truly nothing she cannot do, and she is proving that to the world every single day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! I'll say it again...your girl is absolutely amazing! How awesome that you can have such conversations with her. She is way ahead of Malayna cognitively and I only hope we can share such conversations and she can tell me about her days some day. Kaitlyn is so inspiring, I wish Malayna could meet her and learn from her! I love stories like this!
ReplyDelete