Lately I've been noticing how much time I spend thinking about Kaitlyn. I think about her health. I think about her needs. I think about her challenges. I think about her physical therapy. I think about her doctor's appointments. I think, I think, I think. Often I go to bed and think some more. I know that all parents worry about their kids well-being, but for me it goes beyond the typical concerns. Here are some recent examples...
1. Halloween is coming. We really love this holiday around here! So, like most parents, my first thought was about getting a costume. So Kaitlyn and I started looking through catalogues, and she chose the cutest 50's girl outfit complete with a poodle skirt! For most parents, that would be the end of thinking about Halloween. For me, it was just the beginning. I immediately started thinking...
*There is a Halloween parade at school, which involved walking the perimeter of the school - twice. How are we going to get Kaitlyn to participate? Can she walk that whole distance? Can she ride in a wagon? Is she going to be embarrassed if she has to ride while all of the other kids walk?
*What on earth are we going to do about Trick-or-Treating? Clearly Kaitlyn can't walk the whole distance in the neighborhood that Connor can cover. Also, many houses (like our own) have front steps that do not have a railing, meaning she can't climb up and down the steps by herself. Should we let her walk just to a couple of houses? She would let her driver her jeep? If we do that, either Chris or I will have to pick her up out of the jeep and lift her up all the steps. Should we let her drive the jeep and stay put in it while Connor runs to the door to collect candy for the two of them? Wouldn't she hate that since she clearly will want to show off her costume to all of the neighbors???
2. There is a field trip coming up where the kids walk to the fire station up the street from the school.
*How will Kaitlyn get there? She could maybe walk that distance, but there's no way she could keep up with the class. If we don't' want her to walk, how will she get there? There is a golf cart that is sometimes used around the school. Can she ride in that? Is that even legally allowed? Can she get pulled in a wagon? Would she hate that?
There are just so many circumstances that arise when it comes to making sure Kaitlyn can get around in the world safely and easily. Just last weekend we took a tram up to the top of Cannon Mountain, which was beautiful! However, once we were up there we quickly realized that the skinny hiking trail we had conquered in the past was now much more treacherous for Kaitlyn. It was wet, muddy, and ice-covered in spots. Further, it was very crowded an only wide enough for one person at a time. So, as people came toward us in the opposite direction, Chris, Connor and I could just kind of turn sideways and let them pass. Obviously, that wasn't an option for Kaitlyn with her walker. In the past, Chris would just lift Kaitlyn onto his shoulders and move along and I would carry her walker. I saw him lift her onto his shoulders once again, but couldn't help but notice that this time he had trouble. She's not the 30 pound 4-year old she was the last time we did this. She's getting bigger, and it's getting harder to lift her. Soon, this won't be an option, which leaves me thinking...how will we be able to do things like this in the future?
Okay, so here's what I'm thinking about today...sneakers. Yes, just sneakers. Like most of you parents out there, at the beginning of the school year I go out and buy each of my kids a spiffy new pair of sneakers. In my mind, these should last them the school year. In Connor's case, he gets at least 6 months out of them, which is good enough for me. In Kaitlyn's case, that's not even close!!! The problem is that Kaitlyn drags her toes when she walks, resulting in the rubber sole near the toe wearing away. In no time, her sneakers end up with a hole in the toe, rendering them useless. Here are some pictures of her current sneakers. These are the SECOND pair of sneakers she's had since the school year started. Notice how the black sole is totally worn out between the tippy-toe and the bottom of the shoe. This is the area that Kaitlyn drags...
So, today I'm thinking...What the heck can I do to prevent this from happening??? Can you imagine the cost of buying a new pair of sneakers each month??? Oh, and by the way, don't think that just any sneakers fit over her braces. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Sneaker shopping is an absolute nightmare. We have to find some that are deep enough, wide enough, and have velcro or laces that reach over the top of the braces. Of course they also have to look good or Kaitlyn will refuse to wear them! Nightmare.
Okay, I think I need to just stop thinking for a minute. I need to just focus on all of the good things happening in Kaitlyn's life. She loves school, she has lots of friends, she really loves her dance class, and she's as cute as a button. Life is good. Now if I can just remember that, and stop thinking about all of the other nonsense, life would be great!!!
Tara,
ReplyDeleteI could have written this post a hundred times over, as I do exactly the same thing. I over think things like Halloween too. OMG, seriously, almost the same questions run through my head too. I don't have any advice because I do this all the time. Recently, Emma was in a wedding and I nearly made myself sick over it. She was a flower girl. I questioned myself to nearly nausea over the thing... Should I let her use her walker? What if she wears out? How long will it take her to get down the aisle? Should she use the wheelchair? Will that distract people? Who will push her? Can the chair roll in the grass? Should we just use her all-terrain wagon? Will that look too babyish for a 6-year-old? How will she dance? Will her braces be ready so she can dance? Will we have time to get shoes to fit them? Will the shoes look dorky with the dress? On and on and on...
I show you this to demonstrate that you are not alone in this. Strangely, knowing that you do this with Kaitlyn (who is doing so much better than Emma) makes me feel better. I know that is pathetic, but it makes me feel less different.
Thanks for this post.
Like Amy, I have no answers either. I just have compassion and understanding to offer! I do much of the same with Malayna. But know that you and your husband are the best parents Kaitlyn could ever have and you do your best every day for her. And she has a mind of her own and let's you know what she wants and doesn't. Malayna hasn't reached that point yet. So I know together you'll overcome all of these obstacles and they'll be just old thoughts in the back of your mind with time. Please keep us posted as you overcome each one. Kaitlyn has always been an inspiration to me so I look to her (and you) for guidance sometimes. Big hugs and best of luck!
ReplyDeleteWe have the same issues with sneakers. I recently bought stride rite wide width for Brendan and the soles held up very well. Unfortunately he drags one foot on the other and a big hole ripped through the side mesh part of the sneaker one month in. I guess you can never win! Sneakers are bought every few months around here!
ReplyDelete