Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Nosebleeds, bumped heads, apple picking and a crazy dog...

September has been an eventful month! Both Kaitlyn and Connor have settled into their school routine. They have both adjusted well to the new school year, and continue to be enthusiastic about all things school related. For the first time in over 5 years, I actually have a whole 4 hours to myself each week, so I'm happy too!

The fall weather is here, and we've been really enjoying all of the autumn traditions in New England. The kids have been apple picking and pumpkin picking, and we've visited some local fairs.

On the downside, Kaitlyn's nosebleeds appear to be back - UGH!!! She's suffered from nosebleeds for over a year. Finally, this summer she got some relief. She had 2 silver nitrate treatments, which we thought did the trick. However, this week they started up again. The annoying thing about the nosebleeds is that they can sneak up on her at any time. She's gotten them at the park, in the middle of the night (those are always really fun), in the car, etc.....So, we're going back to the ENT doctor on Monday, hoping that he can come up with a new treatment.

Kaitlyn has also been using her forearm crutches quite a bit. She's used them at the mall, at the grocery store, and at school. The goal is to get her more comfortable with the crutches so that she'll eventually move away from her walker. The problem is that the crutches are not nearly as stable or as safe as her walker. While at times she does really well (like walking the entire grocery store with no problems), other times she struggles and falls, which always draws a loud gasp by any and all bystanders. On Monday we were walking into therapy, when Kaitlyn lost her balance, and this time instead of falling forward she fell backwards, and really whacked her head on the concrete sidewalk. Poor thing. So, now I'm totally fed up with the crutches, and I have some real concerns about her safety. I'm on the fence about what's best for her. I fully understand the doctors and the therapists wanting us to push her to move away from her walker, because she's never going to learn to walk unassisted if she has her walker to rely on. However, her doctors and therapists aren't her mother. They don't have to watch her stumble and fall. They don't have to see their child lying on the concrete with a huge egg on the back of her head. It's my job to keep her safe, period. So, for now I will allow her to use the crutches at school, at home, and at therapy. Otherwise, it's back to her walker. One step forward, two steps back...

Finally, my poor kids were attacked by a crazy dog! We were waiting for the bus at 8:20 one morning in our driveway. Suddenly, a maniacal and very scary looking boxer came bolting up the street at a million miles an hour. I recognized him as a neighborhood dog who until now I had only seen tied to a leash in his yard. He was running at the kids and me, and wouldn't go away no matter how loudly I screamed. I was fending him off with Kaitlyn's crutches, while trying to wrangle the kids into the house. However, Connor froze like an icicle and couldn't move, and Kaitlyn couldn't get into the house because I was using her crutches as a weapon! The crazy dog knocked Connor to the ground, leaving him with ripped pants and a bloody knee. At one point Cujo decided that he was going to dig up a section of my lawn that had just been seeded, giving me time to get the kids into the house. UPDATE: I saw the dog walking up the street on a leash with a girl who I assumed was his owner. I approached her, and gave her a whole speech about what her idiot dog did to my kids, and how she's lucky I didn't call the police. I rattled off several further statements about how irresponsible she was as a dog owner, and made it very clear that if I ever saw that dog off his leash again there would be hell to pay. It was then that I took a breath, and learned that she is not the dog's owner, that it belongs to her boyfriend's mother. I tried not to show how stupid I felt, instead opting to instruct her to give a report to the owner letting her know exactly what happened. I also told her to let this woman know where I live, and that if she would like to come talk to me I would appreciate it. Well, the woman hasn't shown her face. She clearly owes me and the kids an apology. So, let's just say to that lady - I know where you live, and I'm watching for you.

October is going to be a busy month for us. Kaitlyn is going in for a procedure we're hoping will help her gait/walking/balance etc. More to come on this in a couple of weeks!!!

Apple Picking!


Class Field Trip - Pumpkins!


Walking to the apple orchard from school!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tara! I found your blog on the new BBC board and am so glad to catch up with you and Kaitlyn! I miss the old BBC board so much. I love your blog and enjoyed reading your whole story. You and Chris are amazing parents and Kaitlyn is an amazing little girl! I can't believe her determination and positive attitude. I look forward to following your journey now. Malayna just turned 5 and is doing pretty well. I actually have a private blog which I'd love to invite you to, I'd just need your e-mail address to send you an invitation.

    ReplyDelete